Unified Modeling Language(UML) is a modeling languagein the field ofsoftware engineering. The unified modeling language allows the software engineer to express an analysis model using the modeling notation that is governed by a set of syntactic semantic and pragmatic rules.
UML includes a set of graphical notation techniques to createvisual modelsof software development systems.
User Model View
- This view represents the system from the users' perspective.
- The analysis representation givess a usage scenario from the end-users perspective.
Structural model view
Behavioral Model View
- It represents the dynamic of behavioral as parts of the system, depicting the interactions of collection between various structural elements givesd in the user model and structural model view.
Implementation Model View
- In this the structural and behavioral as parts of the system are represented as they are to be built.
Environmental Model View
In this the structural and behavioral aspects of the environment in which the system is to be implemented are studied
UML is specifically constructed through two different domains they are
- UML Analysis modeling, which focuses on the user model and structural model views of the system?
- UML design modeling, which focuses on the behavioral modeling, implementation modeling and environmental model views.
Use case Diagrams represent the functionality of the system from a user's point of view. Use cases are used during requirements elicitation and analysis to represent the functionality of the system. Use cases focus on the behavior of the system from external point of view. Actors are external entities that interact with the system. Examples of actors include users like administrator, bank customer ...etc., or another system like central database.
Types of UML Diagrams
An association provides a pathway for communication. The communication can be between use cases, actors, classes or interfaces. The communication relationship of an actor in a use case is shown by connecting the actor symbol to the use case symbol with a solid path. The actor is said to communicate with the use case.
A dependency is a relationship between the two model elements where the changes made to one model element will affect the other model element.
We can provide here
- Include Relationship
- Extend Relationship
- Includes: The Includes relationship is created between the new use case and any other use case that "uses" its functionality.
- Extends: The extends relationship is used when we have one use case that is similar to another use case but does a bit more. In essence it is like subclass.