NETWORK OPERATING SYSTEM
Provided detailed study about common services that are available in both windows server 2003 and Red hat Linux.
The common services available in both windows server 2003 and Red Hat Linux are as follows:
1.) File and printer sharing
2.) Both the OS uses ftp for transferring files from client to server or vice-versa.
3.) Both the OS have DNS (Domain Name Server).
4.) Both can provide DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).
5.) Both use TCP/IP stack.
6.) Both support much different type of languages.
7.) In both operating systems we can give file permissions such as read, write etc.
List all Command Line Utilities for Red Hat Linux and show their usage as well.
The following are the Command Line Utilities for Red Hat Linux:-
A) Commands for system Info:
1) echo $PATH It shows the content of the environment variable "PATH". This command can be used to show other environment variables as well. Use "set" to see the full environment.
2) set|more It shows the current user environment.
3) pwd It prints the working directory, i.e it displays the name of my current directory on the screen.
4) who It determines the users logged on the machine.
5) uptime It tells us the amount of time since last reboot.
B) Administrative commands:
1) setup (as root) This command is used to configure mouse, soundcard, keyboard, X-windows, system services.
2) adduser user_name This command is used to create a new account (you must be root). E.g.,adduser karan Don't forget to set up the password for the new user in the next step. The user home directory is /home/user_name.
3) passwd This command is used to change the password on your current account. If you are root, you can change the password for any user using passwd user_name
4) fdisk This command is used for Linux hard drive partitioning utility (DOS has a utility with the same name).
5) mkdir – This command is used to make a new directory. Example mkdir -p /home/newuser/kgt/karan-27-test
6) rmdir –This command is used to remove an empty directory common options -p make or remove parent directories as needed, if possible
7) cd –This command is used to change directory from the current directory. Example cd /xyz/abc
8) linuxconfig- From this command we can change hundreds of settings from this command.It is used as root in either text or graphical mode.
Study out the basic differences between the four versions of Windows Server 2003
There are basically four major versions (editions) of Windows Server 2003. They are as follows:-
1) Web edition
· It supports mainly the hosting, building and managing of web pages and XML web services.
· It is designed to use IIS 6.0 server and provides a platform for the applications that use Asp.net technology.
· The most important point is that this edition of windows server 2003 can have maximum of 2GB of memory (ram).
· It does not support cluster service and it cannot act as a domain controller.
2) Enterprise edition
· It provides eight node clustering using MSCS software (Microsoft Cluster Software).
· It can support upto 32GB of memory.
· The 64-bit version of this edition can support upto 1TB of memory.
· Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions support Non-Uniform Memory Access (NUMA).
· This server edition also supports Hot Add Memory.
· This edition of server also supports Remote installation services.
3) Datacenter edition
· This windows server edition is mainly aimed at providing high security and reliability for big infrastructures.
· This server edition supports upto 64 processors.
· It doesn't support Network Bridge service.
4) Standard edition
· This edition of Windows server 2003 can run on up to 4 processors with up to 4 GB RAM.
· But the 64-bit version supports upto 32 bit of memory and NUMA.
· It does not support Windows system resource manager.
Find out and make use of all the Command Line Utilities available in Win2k3, make sure that they are commands to be used over the network.
Command line utilities available in windows server 2003 are as follows:-
1) ipconfig/all This command is used to verify all TCP/IP network values.
2) ping This command is used to verify that TCP/IP is installed and working properly.
3) nslookup This command is used to obtain and resolve DNS names.
4) ipconfig/renew When this command is used all the computers that use DHCP,try to contact with DHCP server and renew their new configuration.
5) ipconfig/flushdns This command is used to flush DNS cache.
6) ipconfig/registerdns This command re-registers with DNS.
7) nbstat –R This command is used to flush the netbios cache.
8) arp –d* This command is used flush the ARP cache.
9) nbstat –RR This command is used to re-register with WINS.
10 ) tracert [-d] [-h maximumhops] [-j host-list] [-w timeout] targetname This command is used to determine the path that an IP datagram to reach the destination.
Study in detail how active directory is installed and document the whole procedure .
1. Click on Start ,then in start click on Run, type dcpromo, and then click OK.
2. On the first page of the Active Directory Installation Wizard, click Next.
3. On the next page of the Active Directory Installation Wizard, click Next.
4. On the Domain Controller Type page, click Domain Controller for a new domain, and then click Next.
5. On the Create New Domain page, click Domain in a new forest, and then click Next.
6. On the New Domain Name page, in the Full DNS name for new domain box, type contoso.com, and then click Next.
7. On the Database and Log Folders page, accept the defaults in the Database folder box and the Log folder box, and then click Next.
8. On the Shared System Volume page, accept the default in the Folderbox and then click Next.
9. On the DNS Registration Diagnostics page, click Install and configure the DNS server on this computer and set this computer to use this DNS server as its preferred DNS Server and then click Next.
10. On the Permissions page, click Permissions compatible Windows Server2003 operating systems and then click Next.
11. On the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator Password page, enter a password in the Restore Mode Password box, retype the password to confirm it in the Confirm password box and then click Next.
12. On the Summary page, confirm the information is correct and then click Next.
13. When prompted to restart the computer, click Restart now.
14. After the computer restarts, log on to karan as a member of the Administrators group.
Try to install windows server 2003 enterprise edition and then document the whole installation procedure?