Any professional today who wishes to become a manager of teams knows that the one qualification that is almost mandatory is an MBA. Even 15 years ago, it was possible to be successful in one's career without doing an MBA program. But in these competitive times, a professional without an MBA is considered to be ill-fit for senior management and is often held back from promotions.
If you are a recent graduate or just a few years into your career, then it's sensible to go through an MBA program but what is you are working and for family or professional reasons cannot afford to take one or two years off from your career? No one wishes to lose out on a valuable promotion today for the sake of spending two years in an Institute.
The solution is very simple and straightforward. An Online MBA program is the ideal solution for working professionals who want a qualification from a good Business School but cannot afford to spend the one or two years an MBA needs away from their careers or their home towns. Most of the top Business schools in India offer an Online MBA program and over the last few years the programs have become more & more sophisticated and well-respected among corporations.
The advantages of doing an Online MBA program vs. a full-time MBA program are as follows:
- An Online MBA program from a reputed institute can provide almost as much exposure as a Full-time MBA program
- The value of an MBA degree is comparable even when it is from an Online MBA program
- An Online MBA program offers a flexibility of schedule where the student can devote their free time in the mornings or weekends to their studies
- An Online MBA program tends to be much more reasonable in cost than a Full-time program
- An Online MBA program allows the student the flexibility to spend as much or as little time as is necessary on each part of the studies. This allows the student to progress as fast as he or she needs to depending on their ability
- Most Online MBA programs offer contact sessions a few times a Quarter and so students do get the chance to interact with other students and the professors
Online MBA programs are offered from a wide variety of universities across the world. The student has the option of choosing from almost any university. The competition for admission tends to be lower with Online MBA programs compared to Full-time MBA programs. Therefore, a student who has not got admission in the university of their choice for a Full-time Program can take up an Online MBA Program from the same university. This also frees up the students time during the day to undertake a job and get valuable job experience even if they are already not working.
All in all, there are several advantages in doing an Online MBA program and it is an option that any young person who wants the MBA tag should seriously consider.
Online MBA degrees
Several Online MBA degrees are available on the Internet nowadays and the student is spoilt for choice. How does a student go about evaluating which Online MBA degree is the best option for them?
There are many criteria which are important when choosing an Online MBA program and we shall discuss some of them below:
- The reputation of the institute: It is very important not to get an online MBA degree from any unheard of online university. If possible, look at online MBA degree's only from colleges that offer full-time MBA degrees. Then it will be easier to evaluate the college using published rankings which appear in magazines. If the college offers only online MBA degrees and not full-time degrees, then you must check whether the college is affiliated to a university and authorized to run this program.
- The syllabus: Just because it is an online MBA degree doesn't mean that you should not get a good education. You are paying the fees for an MBA and you should receive an MBA education as well as a degree. Compare the curriculum of the online MBA degree with that of the university's full-time program.
- The faculty-student interaction: Some online MBA degrees just send you the course material and tests whereas others offer a chat facility with faculty and the best ones offer video streaming lectures, chats, webinars and other modes of online interaction. Look for the maximum points of interaction between faculty & student; it will keep the course interesting for you. Also make sure that if you need help or guidance, a faculty member will be available for you to contact.
- Contact sessions: Though the degree may be an online MBA degree, you should have the option of attending live lectures and meetings with the faculty once in 3-6 months. This is also an opportunity to meet other students and get to know them.
- Alumni: Contact old students of the online MBA degree program at the college you plan to attend and see what they have to say about the college. You are ultimately taking an MBA to further your career prospects and if your online MBA degree is seen as not useful or worse, harmful, then it could be a waste of your time or money. Check the references carefully before you pay any fees or deposits.
Finally some general advice:
- An online MBA degree can be a rewarding and enriching step on the corporate ladder.
- Making the right choice of college and program for your online MBA degree can make all the difference between it being a great step or a small step on your way to success.
- Evaluate all your options wisely, talk to as many people as you can.
- Don't listen only to the college's marketing talk, what is the best option for the college may not be the best option for your online MBA degree.
- Online MBA degrees can help you get a qualification while you have a full-time job or home responsibilities during the day. But they still require study and hard work if you want to gain an education from it.
- While choosing an online MBA degree, also take a look at the specialization that is right for your career path and where you want to go in the future. The right choice of specialization can also help you change your career path.
Best of Luck to you!