The term ISO9000 is used to refer 20 documents which are related to quality assurance set by ISO(International Organization for Standardization).It is used to refer three standards namely ISO 9000, ISO 9002, ISO 9003.This focuses on the process by which the product is formed. The agenda underlying the ISO 9000 standards is to provide assurance to the clients that the service they get from the staff will be consistent. ISO 9000 framework provides a planned approach for the implementation of the quality intensions in the firms, along with the procedure for implementing it with a proper documentation of all the process.
Many organizations implement this in order to have continuous development in the existing process. They follow a sequence of steps to implement the overall process which is described below.
Implementation of ISO9000 in organizations
Following are general fourteen steps in order to implement ISO9000 in organizations:
- Commitment of Top Management of the organization to execute an ISO9000 quality management system in the organization
- To set a team of members in the organization to plan the necessary activities and manage execution process to achieve overall success.
- To set up awareness programs which are related to ISO9000 process should be carried out in order to explain the concepts like aim of the ISO9000 quality management system, the advantages of implementing it to the employees, customers and the overall organization and an idea is given even about the implementation process in the awareness programs.
- Train the employees of the organization about the basics concepts of quality management systems and on writing superiority manuals, testing procedures, etc which would enhance their skills in that particular field and would increase the efficiency of the employees.
- Carry out an investigation about the present process which already exists in the organization and find out the Examine the important sections of quality standard - ISO 9000 and find out the sections that actually required. If it is necessary change arrangements according to the standard, develop the relevant documents and records that are necessary, and describe new set of operations/processes that is to be implemented.
- Develop a standard execution plan with details like the main objective of the new proposed system, person or the team handling this process along with their duties, various training resources required and possible date of the completion of the process.
- Develop quality management system documentation which includes the documented statements of a quality policy and the quality objectives. It also includes documents required by the organization to guarantee the successful planning, procedure and control of its process.
- Document control must include the agreement for capability by qualified person before issue. It should also have options like reviewing, updating and re-approval of documents by authorized person.
- The Implementation activity should include the activities like internal quality audit, formal corrective action and management review.
- Internal quality audit are performed to verify whether planned arrangements are successfully executed or not
- Management evaluation is done to find out the customer feedback, performance of the process and It even includes the necessary proposals to be considered in future to improve the process.
- Pre-assessment audit is conducted which would generally provide a degree of confidence for going ahead.
- After the pre-assessment audit Certification and registration process will be carried out.
- Continual Improvement is done with the help of Audit results, analysis of data and remedial and protective procedures
Advantages of implementing ISO9000 in organization
- Leads to continuous development
- Better understanding of customers requirements and enhance their relationship in a proper manner which totally leads to business development.
- Better communication and control over the process i.e. who is involved in which process and the reason why he/she is doing it.
- Enhances employee relations and supplier relations.
- Lessening in processing and improvement time and possible for decrease of waste and duplicates
- An arrangement to combine change and improvement into one structure
- A training manual for all the employees of an organization which consecutively allows enhanced staff enthusiasm
Disadvantages of implementing ISO9000 in organization
- It is a long process to implement i.e. time consuming process
- It is costly affair to develop the system
- It discourages free thoughts and employee empowerment