The management of finance for U feel that their employees don't give proper attention to personal and professional skills development; there are a variety of personal skills development methods and techniques. The company management has assigned consultant the duty for developing Personal Development Plan (PDP) which will help the company's employee's skills development.
Personal Development Plan is needed which help out the employees in skills audit, because skill audit is necessary to assess the skills type and level each employee posses, it will help out employees in understanding their strengths and weaknesses and deciding the ways through which they can overcome on the these problems.
Introduction of Task 1:
Develop a Personal Development Plane to indicate the long term plan for developing a plan, what is importance of a plan, and how a plan improves the organization's employee's personal and professional skills.Task 1 Objective:
Following are the requirements from task 1 of the scenario of Finance 4 U
- What is a plan, and its importance
- What is important of Personal Development Plan (PDP)
- What are your professional goals and objectives
- What are your short-term and long-term goals
- What are your strengths and weaknesses
- How will you overcome on your weaknesses
- How will you evaluate your success? Definition of Plan Plan and its importance
Plan is a methodology or procedure to achieve a target and goal or a specific task.
Plans are basically formal and informal. plan is important in projects,diplomacy,careers,economic development,militarycampaigns It's quiet easy when we plan a thing accordingly to your time requirements. importance of planning is important in almost every field of life whether its in your personal life or whether its your formal life it is almost a very necessary that when all of your tasks and objectives are planned then it will be most convenient for you whether you are in marital life whether you are in a team or in your office.
Every person has some aims and objectives in his life to achieve those aims and objectives you have to mange your life keeping in view of your resources and your needs so in this context you have to make some personal development plan.Personal Development Plan
Personal development plan is a structured and systematic process undertaken by an individual to accomplish his aims and objectives reflecting upon his learning skills and performance the most focused individuals in the field of personal development planning are students at university level there are some specific areas that needs development which re described as under.Areas that need development Skills that need some development
- Valuing and Supporting Others
According to your personal development plan review your performance and achievements. And how to achieve your goals keeping in mind the time scale and available resources and how to reduce obstacles at your way keep a self review of your performance regarding your plan.Main Objectives of task 2
- Make a review of your performance regarding your aims defined in task 1
- Identify obstacles and constraints regarding your plan
- Describe how you can monitor you plan
- Explain the importance of self review according to your plan
- Why it is important to get support from others to achieve your goals sometimes
There are basically three types of goals short term, midterm and long term which are being defined as followsConstraints in achieving Short term goals
Short term goals are defined as the goals that the most recent situation on that you are working on for example get my assignments submitted on date manage my time etcConstraints in achieving midterm goals
Work hard to get the degree of MBA from a good university in United Kingdom and it's hard to get a suitable job according to my qualification.Constraints in achieving long term goals
In order to get my visa extension and to change status I have to work very hard because there are too much obligations in the visa policy of United Kingdom visa policy.Steps to solve these constraints
- In order to get goals done in time I have to manage my time because time management is very important aspect in every single activity.
- Try to get a part time job to support my study and living expenses financially
- In order to compete the most challenging global environment I have to improve my interpersonal and as well as communication skills.
- In order to get a better job in future I have to keep my self update with the recent economical and financial climates.
Self review is a very important part to achieve your targets when a person does a self review he can analyse himself quiet best which others cannot do because a person himself know well about his strengths and weaknesses and how to overcome them.
Self review is an important step towards personal development, with person taking responsibility for their own learning and for choosing the means to achieve this; it increases capacity of your thinking and willingness towards your judgment and taking responsibility for yourself.Need to Review and Monitor Plan:
If you plan well then there is maximum chances of getting better results from what you have planned. When a person plan something i.e. his career, education, journey etc, it is required to have a success criteria for the evaluation of his success towards achievements of his objectives, and how much it is needed and if he doesn't achieve what was required then what was the reason behind this failure, identify those and ways to overcome on those weaknesses.
Monitoring your plan is a very important aspect to get the things done in time and properly it also shows the progress and performance of your project and plan which is very necessary that where you are ad where you want to be.How it is sometime necessary to gain support from others to achieve goal and objectives:
It is some time times important to get the consultancy of others because all the thing specially plan or a project cannot be done individually you have to gather some ideas and minds to prepare a team work so some of the times it is important to gain support from others.
So if your objective is like which you can't achieve individually, you need to gain support from others (physical, moral support)Task 3
In task 3 the management of Finance 4 U wants us as consultant to look into some issues which are often considered as "Less Important", they want to know about the different personal and professional skills that different organizations use to improve their employees skills and competencies level. And then produce all the outcomes of this research in presentation format to deliver it to the managing director and staff of Finance 4 U. and at the end prepare a report containing recommendations to help the company in getting out of the problems they are facing in their employees personal and professional development.Objectives of Task 3
- Investigate a research in three organisations, that how they ensure their staff various personal and professional skills.
- Produce a presentation to managing director containing the outcomes of the research.
- Write a concise and accurate report to MD making recommendations to help Finance 4 U in current situation.
Personal and professional skills are both different to each other because you have to enhance them on your own. Personal skills are the skills which are by birth or being polished according to your age but on the other hand professional skills are not by birth you need to sharpen them as you are indulged in your professional life but in order to live a good successful life you have to manage both of these parallel.Analysis of three organisations
I have chosen the following three organisations to do analysis that how they ensure their staff personal and professional skills development.
- TRANSPORT OF LONDON
KFC is one of the world's most popular chains of restaurants; they have subsidiaries in all continents of the world. At KFC the management is very ambitious towards their employee's personal and professional skills development, and they use a very structured and systematic way, following are the ways through which the management of KFC ensure their employees skill development.
- Crew Development Program
KFC have a very structured program for its crew development and this program is so influential that 40 % of the top 50 managers at KFC join this organisation as crew member.
- E-Learning Strategy To have a healthy competitive environment among their employees KFC have award winning scheme, employees producing better results are awarded benefits as financial, promotions etc. while to provide their employees an opportunity for distance learning they also have e-learning strategy and online resources.
- Scholarships / apprenticeship
KFC have a very comprehensive project of scholarships for its employees; they provide up to $ 5,250 reimbursement in tuition fees to their employees in course which is directly related to company job responsibilities. They also provide financial assistant and reimbursement to its employees in course which are not directly related to their company job and responsibilities. In USA KFC have national employee scholarship program which gives 52 fulltime scholarships per year in United States.
In United Kingdom KFC provide apprenticeship to 6000 persons in 2009, currently they have 800 persons and will provide apprenticeship to 10,000 people becoming the UK largest apprenticeship providing organisation in UK.IBM America
IBM is world known company providing computers, laptops and other accessories to its customers worldwide.
IBM America has a big number of customers providing services all in almost all cities of America. To achieve its organisational goals and objectives IBM focuses on their employee's personal and professional development using various approaches, some of them are stated below.
- Training & Development
- To provide the basic skills to its employees initially IBM uses the approach of pre job and on job trainings. While to enhance its employees competencies and skills, IBM have a very good structured development program. They also provide their employees job security, in order that they show their full loyalty to the organisation.
- Leadership Development Program.
To develop their employees leadership skills that they may work better on their current positions and are ready for future improvements in the management hierarchy of the company. IBM has an agreement with TAFE and American Institute of Management, and with collaboration of these two IBM organise leadership development courses for their employees.
- Social Events management.
To enhance their employees social skills, IBM arrange different social events for its employees where their families are also invited, through this program IBM try to enhance their employees skills through social gatherings and provide them opportunity to attend those events alongside with their families that they may recognise that for their company they value the most.
Transport for London is the official company look after the public transport facilities around the Greater London, from a taxi cab to Buses and Trains to underground tubes, TFL is working hard to provide the best public transport facilities in the most historical city of the world "London". To achieve the goal of providing best public transport facilities TFL has a very comprehensive program for the personal and professional skills development of their employees.
- Training and Development Transport for London provide extensive training both pre job and on job trainings to their employees to make their personal and professional skill imporved. TFL have signed ten years training program with London City & Guilds, Barnet College and four counties to help TFL in delivering courses to employee and work on their skill development.
- National Vocational Qualification (NVQ)
TFL arrange different courses during vocations for its underground frontline employees, in these courses the main focus is on development of their professional skills and update them with latest tools that may TFL going to deploy in near future.
- College Placements
TFL help its employees in getting up with updated knowledge and skills by college placements. Every year TFL help a big number of its employees to get admit in colleges for courses, like technical courses.
TFL also provide apprenticeships opportunities to graduates and other technical workers to work with TFL and enhance their skills in their relevant field. They also provide trainings to its employees (taxi cab drivers) on how to read maps and make route selections, training n topography is also provided.Analysis Report
By: Muhammad Usman Arif
To: Managing director of Finance 4 you
Analysis of skills development techniques of 3 organizationsDated 01-April- 2010
With reference to the above noted subject here is a report of analysis of three firms regarding the issues of skills and development which your company is facing at the moment in this report I have done a precise analysis of these three firms that how they are managing development skills according to the company's resources an fund allocation strategies. During my survey I have found some silent features and some hidden strategies of the firms individually three of the firms have different areas on which they are focusing directly to enhance the development skills.
After the completion of my survey I have prepared a detailed report which mainly focuses on the current deficiencies in development which your firm is facing now.
I have tried my best to look at all the aspects which you need to be correct and proper to get positive results.
The main areas on which you have to focus are as follows
- Create awareness between your staff members that how to work in a form of a team what is a team work and how to get your duties done in time by deploying every one as a responsible member of staff.
- The second and the most important area to be focused is an arrangement of seminars and workshops on interpersonal and professional skills to let your staff know about the recent climate of the firms which are working as some of the worlds most challenging and globalize format
- Make an collaboration between upper line middle line and front line management once in a week to the give them an opportunity to discuss the problems in a face to face talk as we know that most of the matters are solved In a table talk to get their ideas and views exchanged each other
- It is the responsibility HR and Personnel department to focus on organisational structure and culture which is the most important area and needs an special attention and focus
- Make a better communication to the employees Woking under a subordinate supervisor or manager
- Also make an arrangement of some recreational and get-together for your staff once month which is a positive step to motivate one's ethical ad moral values.
In order to identify someone's core competencies we can use a thing name skill audit by skill audit you can analyse somebody strengths and weakness very easily there are many methods to use skill audit but the most convenient and recent thing used is the skill audit form. Skill audit is the most repeated practice in the field of a personal and professional development.Objectives of task 5 Following are the main objectives of the Task 5
- Identification of seven individuals paying attention to their background and area of work
- Develop a skill audit form to gather information from those individuals
- Use appropriate tool to perform skill audit
- Write a report on the findings of the activity and make relevant conclusion and recommendations.
Skill audit is used to measure different areas of strengths and weakness through a proper channel. Skill audit is a very authentic way to analyse and demonstrate ones progress in personal and professional development.
Skills audits are also usually done to determine training needs so an organisation can improve its skills and knowledge. However skills audits are also completed for other reasons such as restructuring and deployment. A skills audit gathers more information than simply your current qualifications level. It firstly identifies the skills matrices for the organisation and then delves into what the current competencies are of each individual against this predefined set of skills required to fulfil a specific role. Without this information you don't know where to improve.
- With this information your training and development will be better planned and more focused.
- Recruiting needs are better defined and more likely to result in the most appropriate candidate.
- Placement decisions are easier with knowledge of current competence levels.
- Career pathing and succession planning is assisted with accurate information on individuals.
- Valid and valuable Workplace Skills Plans.
- Improved skills and knowledge.
- Lower training and development costs because development efforts are more focused.
- Acquisition and use of information that can be used for purposes such as internal employee selection and placement.
- Increased productivity as people are better matched to their positions.
Skills audits may be conducted in various ways. Current approaches to skills audits include the following:
- Panel approach
- Consultant approach
- One-on-one approach
A panel is normally made up of managers, Subject Matter Experts and HR experts. The skills audit form is completed through discussion, and includes one-on-one feedback with the employee.
External consultants interview both employees and managers, and may review performance and related documentation to establish an individual's level of competence.
This is similar to a performance appraisal, except that an individual is rated against a pre-defined skills matrix instead of his/ or her job profile. The employee's manager will hold a discussion with the employee to agree on skills audit ratings.How to complete this audit ORGANIZATION OF LEARNING
I have strategies to help me to plan and manage my time
I am able to effectively prioritise my tasks and activities
I am able to work to deadlines
I am aware of what makes my learning more effective (e.g. place to study, time to study etc)INFORMATION SEEKING SKILLS
I am able to find a specific book or journal in the library using the on-line catalogue.
I am able to use a variety of different sources to find information (e.g. journals. books, electronic resources)
I am able to access and search electronic resources (on-line databases, electronic journals CD-ROMs)
I am able to use search gateways on the Internet to find information
I am able to evaluate the information I findREADING AND NOTEMAKING
I can decide which parts of a book I need to read
I have a system for recording where I find information (e.g. book, author, date)
I can select and use different reading strategies (e.g. skim, scan, in-depth)
I can make effective notes when reading
I can make effective notes when listening (e.g. during lectures)
I have a system for recording and storing my notesWRITING SKILLS
I can analyse assignment (essay, report etc) questions to determine what is expected
I understand the difference between an essay and report
I can produce a written plan to answer an assignment question
I can punctuate, use grammar and spelling correctly
I am confident I can express my ideas clearly in written form
I am able to adapt my writing styles to suit the appropriate media/audience
I understand the need to reference my work to avoid plagiarismSPOKEN COMMUNICATION
I am able to express my views verbally
I am confident speaking in front of a group of people
I can prepare, plan and deliver a presentation
I can use visual aids to support a presentation
I work well as a member of a group or team
I am able to listen to and appreciate the views of others
- Carrell et al, Human Resource Management in South Africa (Thomson, 2002, 2nd Ed.).
- Central Queensland TAFE: www.cquit.net
- Cognology learning centre: www.cognology.biz/sawhatis.htm
- Lancaster.K, Mabaso.J, and Meyer.M. ETD practices in South Africa (Butterworth's, 2001).
- RTO Consultancies: www.rtoconsultant.com