The Responsibilities of IT Manager in an Organization
In this assignment, I want to show the responsibilities of IT Manager in an organization. Suppose the name of the organization is- “ABC”.
ABC is installing new network of PC computers. And I am the IT Manager of that organization. So, I want to show here my responsibilities for my organization. I will responsible to develop a new computer network.
This organization is a new launched organization. It has to be developed. ABC is planning to have an IS in the organization.
Aims and Objectives:
ABC is planning to have an IS in the organization.
An IT manager is responsible for developing a new computer network. We use the term information technology or IT to refer to an entire industry. In actuality, information technology is the use of computers and software to manage information. In some companies, this is referred to as Management Information Services (or MIS) or simply as Information Services (or IS). The information technology department of a large company would be responsible for storing information, protecting information, processing the information, transmitting the information as necessary, and later retrieving information as necessary. All these responsible work has done by an IT manager. The IT Manager, work to achieve organizational goals by directing the activities of people. They employ many of the same knowledge sets, skills, abilities and personal traits to plan, organize, staff, direct and control their teams, including:
* Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
* Ability to manage people, time and resources
* Ability to develop people
* Excellent communication and presentation skills
* Good organizational and problem solving abilities
* Good negotiation, conflict resolution and decision making skills
* Talent to handle clients
* Knowledge/awareness of the requirements of the relevant legislation and regulations
* Honesty and integrity
Although most managers have similar skills sets, there are some differences between the roles of IT Managers and Project Managers. The main difference is one of focus. The IT Manager is responsible for an ongoing program of IT services, while the Project Manager's accountability and authority last only for the life of the project. In fact, it is the time-limited nature of projects that makes the role of Project Manager so important.
When the need for a change is identified, the search is on for IT Managers. Someone is needed to focus on the initiation, planning, executing, monitoring and controlling, and closing the work of the project. The IT Manager supports the project by providing staff resources and by lending authority to the Project Manager. Unlike IT Managers who have positional authority, Project Managers derive their authority from the project charter. This can lead to confusion among team members when normal workload and project activities conflict. The IT Manager can facilitate project success by adjusting workloads and priorities to free up project team members.
Here, I want to discuss about the hardware and some role of an IT Manager. The latest standards of computer hardware (CPU, RAM, Secondary Storage and peripherals)
Intel Core i7 Processor: With faster, intelligent, multi-core technology that applies processing power where it's needed most, new Intel® Core™ i7 processors deliver an incredible breakthrough in PC performance. They are the best desktop processor family on the planet.¹
You'll multitask applications faster and unleash incredible digital media creation. And you'll experience maximum performance for everything you do, thanks to the combination of Intel® Turbo Boost technology² and Intel® Hyper-Threading technology (Intel® HT technology)³, which maximizes performance to match your workload.
Intel Desktop Board DP55KG: Designed by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, the Intel® Desktop Board DP55KG delivers incredible performance. Enjoy great over-clocking hardware and software while boasting new features like Bluetooth* technology. Support for ATI Crossfire* and NVIDIA SLI* technology rounds off the platform with amazing graphics performance.
Features and benefits of Intel Desktop Board DP55KG
ATX (12.00 inches by 9.60 inches [304.80 millimeters by 243.84 millimeters])
View supported processors for the most current list of compatible processors.
At product launch, this desktop board supports:
* Intel® Core™ i7-800 processor series in an LGA1156 socket
* Intel® Core™ i5-700 processor series in an LGA1156 socket
* Four 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
* Support for DDR3 1600+1/1333/1066 MHz DIMMs
* Support for up to 16 GBΣ of system memory
* Intel® P55 Express Chipset
Intel® High Definition Audio◊ subsystem in the following configuration:
* 10-channel (7.1+ 2 independent multi-streaming) audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and two optical S/PDIF digital audio for input and output using the Realtek * ALC889 audio codec
Nvidia SLI* and ATI CrossFire* technology support enables two graphics cards to work together for ultimate 3D gaming performance and visual quality
Intel® PRO 10/100/1000 Network Connection (82578DC)
* Thirteen USB 2.0 ports (8 external ports, 1 onboard, 2 internal headers)
* Eight Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s ports including 2 eSATA ports
* Two IEEE-1394a ports (1 external port, 1 internal header)
* Consumer IR receiver and emitter (via internal headers)
* Integrated Bluetooth Technology Module
* One primary PCI Express* 2.0 x16 bus add-in card connector
* One PCI Express* 2.0 x8 bus add-in card connector, bifurcated from the primary PCI Express 2.0 x16
* One PCI Express* 2.0 x4 connector
* Two PCI Express* 2.0 x1 connectors
* Two PCI Conventional bus connectors
RAM: DDR3 RAM. Leading memory manufacturer A-Data launches their new DDR RAM modules. The XPG Plus Series runs at 2200 MHz making it the fastest DDR3 RAM available on the market.
The new XPG Plus Series from A-Data will be available in 2x1Gb and 2x2Gb dual channel kits. The latency setting is 8-8-8-24 at 1.55-1.65V. The modules are also manufactured with more copper than normal. 2oz are used to achieve better power efficiency and lower operating temperature.
The XPG Plus Series is backwards compatible with DDR3-1866, 1600, 1333 and 1066.
HDD: WD CaviarBlack Desktop Hard Drives-
WD Caviar Black drives combine a high performance electronics architecture with a rock solid mechanical architecture to deliver the perfect storage solution for your fully-loaded PC or maxed out gaming machine. Cool drive operation, no-touch head technology, and leading-edge vibration protection ensure enhanced reliability and sustained data throughput. And we back it all up with a 5-year limited warranty.
High Performance Electronics Architecture
· Dual processor - Twice the processing power to maximize performance.
· Colossal cache - Bigger, faster cache of up to 64 MB means faster performance.
Rock Solid Mechanical Architecture
· Dual actuator technology - A head positioning system with two actuators that improves positional accuracy over the data track(s). The primary actuator provides coarse displacement using conventional electromagnetic actuator principles. The secondary actuator uses piezoelectric motion to fine tune the head positioning to a higher degree of accuracy. (2 TB only)
· StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations.
· NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
Massive Capacity - WD Caviar Black SATA drives are available in capacities
up to 2 TB.
Compatible - We perform tests on hundreds of systems and a multitude of platforms in our FIT Lab™ and Mobile Compatibility Lab to give our customers confidence that our drives will work in their systems.
Power computing applications such as multimedia, video and photo editing, and maxed out gaming computers.
How this WD hard drive protects my data:
* Data Lifeguard is an exclusive set of data protection features, including shock protection, an environmental protection system and real-time embedded error detection and repair. WD's Data Lifeguard technology automatically finds, isolates, and repairs problems that may develop over the life of a hard drive.
* Data Lifeguard Tools are software utilities designed for WD hard drives that work with the embedded Data Lifeguard features to make hard drive installation,diagnostics and repair both simple and worry-free.
1. ShockGuard instantaneously protects the hard drive against damage from bumps and vibrations while it is running. This technology enables WD Caviar drives to sexiness doesn't come cheap, but it can be yours later this month. More details after the jump.
2. Switch - The ProCurve Routing Switch 9408sl will support up to 32 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet, 480 ports of Gigabit Ethernet or 320 mini-GBICs across its eight module slots.
Video display controller:
Produces the output for the computer monitor. This will either be built into the motherboard or attached in its own separate slot (PCI, PCI-E, PCI-E 2.0, or AGP), in the form of a graphics card.
Most video cards support the most basic requirements, and video card manufacturing companies are doing a good job of keeping up with the requirements the games need. However the games are still evolving faster than the video because of manufacturing companies
Removable media devices:
* CD (compact disc) - the most common type of removable media, suitable for music and data.
o CD-ROM Drive - a device used for reading data from a CD.
o CD Writer - a device used for both reading and writing data to and from a CD.
* DVD (digital versatile disc) - a popular type of removable media that is the same dimensions as a CD but stores up to 12 times as much information. It is the most common way of transferring digital video, and is popular for data storage.
o DVD-ROM Drive - a device used for reading data from a DVD.
o DVD Writer - a device used for both reading and writing data to and from a DVD.
* Blu-ray Disc - a high-density optical disc format for data and high-definition video. Can store 70 times as much information as a CD.
* HD DVD - a discontinued competitor to the Blu-ray format.
* Floppy disk - an outdated storage device consisting of a thin disk of a flexible magnetic storage medium. Used today mainly for loading RAID drivers.
* Iomega Zip drive - an outdated medium-capacity removable disk storage system, first introduced by Iomega in 1994.
* USB flash drive - a flash memory data storage device integrated with a USB interface, typically small, lightweight, removable, and rewritable. Capacities vary, from hundreds of megabytes (in the same ballpark as CDs) to tens of gigabytes (surpassing, at great expense, Blu-ray discs).
* Tape drive - a device that reads and writes data on a magnetic tape, used for long term storage and backups.
Hardware that keeps data inside the computer for later use and remains persistent even when the computer has no power.
* Hard disk - for medium-term storage of data.
* Solid-state drive - a device similar to hard disk, but containing no moving parts and stores data in a digital format.
* RAID array controller - a device to manage several internal or external hard disks and optionally some peripherals in order to achieve performance or reliability improvement in what is called a RAID arr
Enables the computer to output sound to audio devices, as well as accept input from a microphone. Most modern computers have sound cards built-in to the motherboard, though it is common for a user to install a separate sound card as an upgrade. Most sound cards, either built-in or added, have surround sound capabilities
o Keyboard - a device to input text and characters by depressing buttons (referred to as keys), similar to a typewriter. The most common English-language key layout is the QWERTY layout.
* Pointing devices
o Mouse - a pointing device that detects two dimensional motion relative to its supporting surface.
o Optical Mouse - a newer technology that uses feet, or more commonly toes to track the surface under the mouse to determine motion of the mouse, to be translated into mouse movements on the screen.
o Trackball - a pointing device consisting of an exposed protruding ball housed in a socket that detects rotation about two axes.
* Image, Video input devices
o Image scanner - a device that provides input by analyzing images, printed text, handwriting, or an object.
o Webcam - a low resolution video camera used to provide visual input that can be easily transferred over the internet.
* Audio input devices
o Microphone - an acoustic sensor that provides input by converting sound into electrical signals.
The Major networking hardware and equipments (Cables, Switches, Routers, Bridges, Server machines parameters):
3. Well cond PC
4. Gateway - Amazon Offers the Gateway SX2802-03 Black Desktop PC (Windows 7 Home Premium) for $559.95 + Free Shipping,the Gateway FX6830-01 features is power by Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q8300, Windows 7 Home Premium, Intel G43 Express Chipset, 6144MB DDR2 Memory, Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 Graphics, 1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive, Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader, High-Definition Audio Support with 5.1-channel Audio Support, 9 – USB 2.0, Keyboard and Mouse, 12.0 lbs. | 5.4 kg (system unit only), 1 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty with Toll-Free Tech Support, Registration/ Limited Warranty Card, Norton Internet Security Suite 2009 Trial.
5. Router - Belkin's latest N1 series router, the N1 Vision, isn't just hands-down the smokiest 802.11n draft 2.0 router we've seen—it tries to one-up everyone else with a built-in LCD screen that displays info ranging from a bandwidth speedometer to the number of neighbors leeching your internet. At $200, the sexiness doesn't come cheap, but it can be yours later this month. More details after the jump.
6. Switch - The ProCurve Routing Switch 9408sl will support up to 32 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet, 480 ports of Gigabit Ethernet or 320 mini-GBICs across its eight module slots.
There are many companies who are produce hardware for computer. And one company doesn't produce all kind of hardware. Each company produce one or twice hardware. There are some following company names whose are produce computer hardware.
e.g. – Intel, IBM, Apple, etc.
The followings are best suits to my demands regarding service after sales, warranty and guaranty of hardware:
Intel, IBM, Apple etc,
The strategy of market study:
Market study is for discovering what people want, need, or believe. It can also involve discovering how they act. Once that research is completed, it can be used to determine how to market your product.
Questionnaires and focus group discussion surveys are some of the instruments for market research.
For starting up a business, there are some important things:
* Market information
Through Market information you can know the prices of the different commodities in the market, the supply and the demand situation. Information about the markets can be obtained from different sources and varieties and formats. And the sources and varieties have to be obtained to make the business work
* Market segmentation
Market segmentation is the division of the market or population into subgroups with similar motivations. it is widely used for segmenting on geographic differences, personality differences, demographic differences, techno graphic differences, use of product differences, and psychographic differences and also gender differences.
* Market trends
The upward or downward movements of a market, during a period of time. The market size is more difficult to estimate if you are starting with something completely new. In this case, you will have to derive the s from the number of potential customers or customer segments.
Besides information about the target market, you also need information about your competitor, your customers, products etc. Lastly, you need to measure marketing effectiveness. A few techniques are:
* Customer analysis
* Choice Modeling
* Competitor analysis
* Risk analysis
* Product research
* Advertising the research
* Marketing mix modeling
Here, I want to discuss about the software and some role of an IT Manager.
Identify the different software for computer network:-
1. Mistyping Graphed
2. Corporate Network Security
3. Disk Analyzer Professional
4. Operating System
There are several types of network operating system in the market. Such as: Microsoft Windows Server, Red Hat Enterprise LINUX 5 etc.
The followings are studies of the operating system identify the best OS for my organization:
Operating Systems firewall.
User friendly etc.
Network security consists of the provisions made in an underlying computer network infrastructure, policies adopted by the network administrator.
By using Firewall, Original Anti-virus, Protect unauthorized uses etc, a network can be made secured.
There is much network security software in the market. Such as: - Norton, Kaspersky, Bit Defender etc.
Client server computing:
The client-server software architecture model distinguishes client systems from server systems, which communicate over a computer network.
Database management system:
A Database Management System (DBMS) is a set of computer programs that controls the creation, maintenance, and the use of the database with computer as a platform or of an organization and its end users. It allows organizations to place control of organization-wide database development in the hands of database administrators (DBAs) and other specialists. A DBMS is a system software package that helps the use of integrated collection of data records and files known as databases. It allows different user application programs to easily access the same database. DBMSs may use any of a variety of database models, such as the network model or relational model. In large systems, a DBMS allows users and other software to store and retrieve data in a structured way. Instead of having to write computer programs to extract information, user can ask simple questions in a query language. Thus, many DBMS packages provide Fourth-generation programming language (4GLs) and other application development features. It helps to specify the logical organization for a database and access and use the information within a database. It provides facilities for controlling data access, enforcing data integrity, managing concurrency controlled, restoring database.
UI development using OOP language:
In computing an object-oriented user interface (OOUI) is a type of user interface based on an object-oriented programming metaphor. In an OOUI, the user interacts explicitly with objects that represent entities in the domain that the application is concerned with. Many vector drawing applications, for example, have an OOUI - the objects being lines, circles and canvases. The user may explicitly select an object, alter its properties (such as size or colour), or invoke other actions upon it (such as to move, copy, or re-align it). If a business application has any OOUI, the user may be selecting and/or invoking actions on objects representing entities in the business domain such as customers, products or orders.
Model–View–Controller (MVC) is an architectural pattern used in software engineering. The pattern isolates "domain logic" (the application logic for the user) from input and presentation (GUI), permitting independent development, testing and maintenance of each.
The model is the domain-specific representation of the data upon which the application operates. Domain logic adds meaning to raw data (for example, calculating whether today is the user's birthday, or the totals, taxes, and shipping charges for shopping cart items). When a model changes its state, it notifies its associated views so they can refresh.
Many applications use a persistent storage mechanism such as a database to store data. MVC does not specifically mention the data access layer because it is understood to be underneath or encapsulated by the model. Models are not data access objects; however, in very simple apps that have little domain logic there is no real distinction to be made. Also, the ActiveRecord is an accepted design pattern which merges domain logic and data access code - a model which knows how to persist itself.
ORM (object relation management):
Object-relational mapping (ORM, O/RM, and O/R mapping) in computer software is a programming technique for converting data between incompatible type systems in relational databases and object-oriented programming languages. This creates, in effect, a "virtual object database" that can be used from within the programming language. There are both free and commercial packages available that perform object-relational mapping, although some programmers opt to create their own ORM tools.
Enterprise resource planning (ERP) is a term usually used in conjunction with ERP software or an ERP system which is intended to manage all the information and functions of a business or company from shared data stores.
Here, I want to discuss about,-how does ERP support an organization to manage its resources of all its departments.
It is a commercial software package that promotes seamless integration of all the information flowing through a company.An ERP system typically has modular hardware and software units and "services" that communicate on a local area network. The modular design allows a business to add or recon modules (perhaps from different vendors) while preserving data integrity in one shared database that may be centralized or distributed.
* ERP systems connect the necessary software in order for accurate forecasting to be done. This allows inventory levels to be kept at maximum efficiency and the company to be more profitable.
* Integration among different functional areas to ensure proper communication, productivity and efficiency
* Design engineering (how to best make the product)
* Order tracking, from acceptance through fulfillment
* The revenue cycle, from invoice through cash receipt
* Managing inter-dependencies of complex processes bill of materials
* Tracking the three-way match between purchase orders (what was ordered), inventory receipts (what arrived), and costing (what the vendor invoiced)
* The accounting for all of these tasks: tracking the revenue, cost and profit at a granular level.
ERP Systems centralize the data in one place. Benefits of this include:
* Eliminates the problem of synchronizing changes between multiple systems - consolidation of finance, marketing and sales, human resource, and manufacturing applications
* Permits control of business processes that cross functional boundaries
* Provides top-down view of the enterprise (no "islands of information"), real time information is available to management anywhere, anytime to make proper decisions.
* Reduces the risk of loss of sensitive data by consolidating multiple permissions and security models into a single structure.
* Shorten production leadtime and delivery time
* Facilitating business learning, empowering, and building common visions
Some security features are included within an ERP system to protect against both outsider crime, such as industrial espionage, and insider crime, such as embezzlement. A data-tampering scenario, for example, might involve a disgruntled employee intentionally modifying prices to below-the-breakeven point in order to attempt to interfere with the company's profit or other sabotage. ERP systems typically provide functionality for implementing internal controls to prevent actions of this kind. ERP vendors are also moving toward better integration with other kinds of information security tools.
Information Systems (or IS) is historically defined as a 'bridge' between the business world and computer science, but this discipline is slowly evolving towards a well-defined science. Typically, Information Systems (or IS) include colleagues, procedures, data, software, and hardware (by degree) that are used to gather and analyze information. Specifically computer-based information systems are complementary networks of hardware/software that people and organizations use to collect, filter, process, create, & distribute data. Today, Computer Information System(s) or CIS is often a minor track within the computer science field pursuing the study of computers and algorithmic processes, including their principles, their software & hardware designs, their applications, and their impact on society. Overall, an IS discipline emphasizes functionality over design.
In a broad sense, the term Information Systems refers to the interaction between algorithmic processes and technology. This interaction can occur within or across organizational boundaries. An information system is not only the technology an organization uses, but also the way in which the organizations interact with the technology and the way in which the technology works with the organization's business processes. Information systems are distinct from information technology (IT) in that an information system has an information technology component that interacts with the processes components.
The main components of information systems are computer hardware and software, databases, telecommunications systems, human resources, and procedures
The preconditions for IS to be developed in my organization:
The company has to take few more steps before implement IS.
There are few steps:
1. Con PC
2. Prepare a good plan
3. Arrange stuff training
4. Recruit IT Manager and others employee who are related in IS etc
Written reports are documents which present specific, focused content—often the result of an experiment, investigation, or inquiry—to a specific audience. The audience may be public or private, an individual or the public in general. Reports are used in government, business, education, and science.
Reports often use persuasive elements, such as graphics, images, voice, or specialized vocabulary in order to persuade that specific audience to undertake an action. One of the most common formats for presenting reports is IMRAD: Introduction, Methods, Results and Discussion. This structure is standard for the genre because it mirrors the traditional publication of scientific research and summons the ethos of that discipline. Reports are not required to follow this pattern, however, and some do use the problem-solution format.
Additional elements often used to persuade readers include: headings to indicate topics, to more complex formats including charts, tables, s, pictures, tables of contents, abstracts, summaries, appendices, footnotes, hyperlinks, and references.
Some examples of reports are: scientific reports, recommendation reports, white papers, annual reports, auditor's reports, workplace reports, census reports, trip reports, progress reports, investigative reports, budget reports, policy reports, demographic reports, credit reports, appraisal reports, inspection reports, military reports, bound reports, etc.
DSS (decision support system):
A Decision Support System (DSS) is a class of information systems (including but not limited to computerized systems) that support business and organizational decision-making activities. A properly designed DSS is an interactive software-based system intended to help decision makers compile useful information from a combination of raw data, documents, personal knowledge, or business models to identify and solve problems and make decisions.
Typical information that a decision support application might gather and present are:
* an inventory of all of your current information assets (including legacy and relational data sources, cubes, data warehouses, and data marts),
* comparative sales s between one week and the next,
The IS will easier all works of my company. It will increase the efficiency of employees.
In this world, no organization can go smoothly with out IS. IS helps the company form every side. So we follow best IS for our companies.
After the research, we can say that, there are a lot of responsibly of an IT Manager for his organization.
1.Peter f. Drucker (b.1909),American Management Consultant.
2.Bruce F. Webster (2008-11-17).
3.Gill wareing (13th May,2005)