The requirements from this assignment are to perform a research project on how to do / conduct strategic management project. For that students are required to select an organisation, conduct a research, and perform analysis of the results of that research and impact of that procedure on the organisation operations and activities.
To conduct the research work I have chosen an organisation "Tesco"
Is one of the largest companies in UK. According to the official press statement of Tesco the number of employees in company is about three hundred and sixty thousand, and their business id decentralized / subsidiaries at 14 different countries including Japan, United States and other big economies. In UK the Tesco store are from a small basic level store to large level super markets, where about 86 % of the total worldwide sales of Tesco are at UK markets. In United KingdomTesco strengths is that they have captured the market in UK super markets and can be called the leaders of super markets sector in United Kingdom.
Scope of the Research Project
As Tesco is a very large scale organisation, and it is very hard to look into all the departments and activities of Tesco in this research work with words limitation, so in this project my focus will be on the ways the human resource department of Tesco perform the process of Recruitment and Selection and how they deal the issues related with this process and its activities with HR department.
The idea behind to conduct this study is
- Why it is important to have proper system for recruitment and selection
- Describe the process of recruitment and selection at Tesco
- The impact of that process on Tesco business / environment
- Positive and negative aspects of the process at Tesco
- Provide suggestions and recommendations for improvement of the process
Recruitment and Selection (R & S)
Recruitment and Selection (R & S) are the two closely related activities of Human Resource Department in every organisation which are performed at the during the employment process. The difference between these two terms is that recruitment is combination of all those activities conducted by HR department in which they try to search out potential candidates who are able to fulfil the job description criteria, and encourage those individuals to apply for that position. Whereas selection involves the step through which the candidate are passed in order to screen them whether they fulfil the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
To achieve the corporate goals Tesco is following a very comprehensive and realistic approach i.e. the Tesco subsidiaries HR directors coordinate with the business groups through monthly meetings, in order to identify the vacant positions throughout the world and also study the list of potential candidates within organisation who has potential to progress through new assignment within the year. After that vacant positions are announced on the company website, so anyone can apply for that position worldwide, so Tesco attract professionals from all over the world not just for economic benefits but through exciting career development opportunities, which help Tesco is getting professionals from all over the world and achieve their corporate goals.
Importance of R & S
Both of these activities are having importance, the purpose of recruitment is to create a pool of talented applicant to enable the HR department for selecting the best candidate for organisation, and attract a big number of candidates applications, whereas the activity of selection helps the employer to chose the right candidate for a job position. . The recruitment and selection is a skilled and costly process which needs to be structured and organised. During the recruitment and selection process the HR team should share jointly with the line manager as well as he / she will have complete information on the organisational requirements from a person working on that position.
R & S Process at Tesco
The idea behind the proper arrangement of the recruitment and selection process is to ensure the there are right people on the work positions / roles and the aim is to make sure that all the work roles are on board to achieve the organisational goals and objectives, and for that Tesco have well managed and good structured R & S activities in the HR department to attract applicant for all kind of positions, Work force Planning at Tesco
The process of understanding and forecasting organisational need in aspect of people (human resource) and skills required and location called workforce planning. It provide organisation an insight into the planning required to satisfy those needs, most of time for which different activities like recruitment and training provide a good solution. For large scale organizations (Tesco) it is very important to plan for future / ahead planning (strategic planning) because the company is diversifying their business and is growing time by time so Tesco needs to recruit people on regular basis and that why they have a very structured system of Workforce Planning.
At Tesco jobs position become available when
- When they open new stores and expand their business internationally
- When an employee resign from his job (leave Tesco)
- When someone get promotion in the management hierarchy
- When the company changes its process and technologies
Tool for Workforce Planning at Tesco
At Tesco the human resource department uses workforce planning table to get an idea of the number of staff they will need in next budget year, for example in 2008/09 they calculate they Tesco will need about 4,000 new manager to enhance and maintain their business next year (2010).
The HR department run the planning process annually at the end of Feb, and then those decisions they made in Feb are quarterly reviewed (i.e. May, Aug and Nov), so that they have clear idea of staffing levels at organization and recruit new people to overcome on shortfalls. This method provide Tesco and advantaging edge over its competitors to look into future employee needs, receive and create a big pool of a variety of applicant and then select the appropriate one according to the organization role description in order to accomplish the business task and reach to organizational goals.
In different organizations they use the approach of promoting employees from their current positions to higher position in the organizational chart, for that they provide extensive training and development opportunities to their employees. Tesco also practice the same practice known as "Talent Planning" which provide people opportunity to work their own way for the accomplishment of organizational goals. They also use "Employee Appraisal" as a tool for identification of potential employees and recognizing their efforts and work for the achievement of organizational goals of Tesco, the manages define the skills and competencies required for job roles and then identify what training and activities are required to enable those individual to achieve the target given in order to make them prepare for taking over the management positions in future.
One of the important activities of R & S is to make clear job description and person description. Job description contains
- Job title
- Description and role responsibilities
- To whom job holder will be responsible
While the personal specification contain about the qualifications, skills and abilities required for that job position.
Attracting and Recruiting at Tesco
Before advertising any position Tesco first look into internal talent, if they have employees with such skills which are required and they fit the required job description. This process involves those individuals who want to make move within the organizational chart. Tesco advertise the job to current employees on intranet for about 14 days and if no one satisfy the criteria organization then they advertise that position on Tesco website (www.tesco.co.uk). The shortlisted applicants have to attend an interview session which is normally followed by a job role (assessment) for the final selection of stated job position (this is often done for managerial positions). For individuals who are interested in in-store jobs Tesco provide the facility of to drop their CV with the store manager of get registered with job centers, Tesco management make a list of those candidates and call them for interview / test when positions are available at that store.
Selection Process at Tesco
As described earlier that selection means to chose an individual of groups of individual from a huge database of applicantions which the organization receives after advertising the jobs through different mediums. Screening the applications is a common and more practicing and of course an important part of the R & S process. The first step in screening is to go through to applicant CV's and select those who meet the job description criteria.
Following questions were included in the research questioner which was given to applicant and staff in Tesco in order to know the degree of efficiency through which HR department is working.
- Did you found the job advertisement clear and understandable
- Was the job description was clearly stated
- Did the advertisement provide enough information about person description
- Did your CV / Application was reviewed
- Did you find the HR department member cooperative during your selection process for the current position
- Did the HR management help employees in getting ready for future management positions.
Findings of Research
At filling out the questioner form employees at different levels at Tesco and performing analysis of gathered data I come up with conclusion that HR department is very much focused on their duties at Tesco, almost all the employees I found satisfied from the R & S procedure. Store managers and supervisors are very satisfied and that's why productivity is high and all the employees are highly motivated in the achievement of organizational goals, team work is good due to proper communication among the superiors and sub ordinates. New recruits are provided sufficient knowledge and information on their job role and how to satisfy organization needs.
As described earlier that Tesco has a very systematic and well structured R & S department, but nothing is perfect in this world so there always remain a place for improvement and introduction of new ideas and innovations. In order to improve the R & S process and activity at Tesco the HR management needs to look into some important issues and make improvement where the room is available for it.
Following are the some recommendations for Tesco HR department to improve their R & S process.
- They must regularly update the job description according to the requirements of the market.
- The use of technology must be maximized in the R & S process.
- Make the job specifications up to date
- The recruitment committee must be consistent with the rules and regulations of Tesco recruitment policy.
- Provide facility to applicants to have detail knowledge of the personal specifications required for a job.
- Must design a computerized system to help the management in short listing candidates at initial screening phase.
- Must provide clear information in job advertisement on the qualifications, skills and experienced required for a certain position in Tesco.
- Ensure that the candidate must have good communication skills in English language if the person on that position has to provide services to customers.
- The application form for vacancies in Tesco must be
- Clear and understandable for all applicants
- The language of the advertisement must be understandable for the community where the job position is vacant.
- May be Include a questioner which will help management of information system in initial screening of the process.
- The management must provide confidentiality of the applicant personal information, and must be a field in application form to take their consents whether the information sharing with other department is necessary.
- The initial testing of the shortlisted candidates must be
- Match the requirements of the job / job description
- The questions of the test paper must be in accordance with the job description and contain updated questions.
- While conducting the interview the HR department must look into
- The interest of candidate in Tesco, why they want to join Tesco team.
- If the interview needs some physical needs or environment the management must provide that.
- The interviewer must be focused on the requirements of the job descriptions.
- Ensure consistency and fairness in asking questions from all candidates
- All candidates invited for interview must be deal in same way.
- If the candidate has certain disability, ask for any special arrangements in performing job duties (if he / she is chosen for that job position).
- The interviewing team must not make any assumption about any candidate
- Irrelevant question must not be included in the interview questioner, like questions about family information.
- All the questions asked and the answers provided must be recorded.
- When making the final decision, the R & S committee must be focused on
- What was the selection criteria, and how much the candidate fulfill that
- Categories applicants on the basis of their qualifications, skills, experience and their performance in test / interview.
- When making the decision the cost of the amount of training which will be provided to selected candidate must be taken into consideration.
- Record decisions made and reasons for them.
- A constructive feedback must be provided to unsuccessful candidate if they request for that.
To achieve organizational goals and objective, organizations rely on their human resources, and they lack in achieving the objectives of their business if they lack in their human resources. So organizations need to have a very structured Recruitment and Selection (R & S) process to ensure that they get right people on right place within their organization.
At Tesco the HR department run the planning process annually at the end of Feb, and then those decisions they made in Feb are quarterly reviewed (i.e. May, Aug and Nov), so that they have clear idea of staffing levels at organization and recruit new people to overcome on shortfalls.
Tesco human resource department is very much focused on the improving the recruitment and selection, and for that they are using certain tools and procedures like Workforce Planning which is The process of understanding and forecasting organisational need in aspect of people (human resource) and skills required and location called workforce planning. It provide organisation an insight into the planning required to satisfy those needs, most of time for which different activities like recruitment and training provide a good solution.
Tesco have a very good system for attracting potential individuals from market to apply for a certain position at Tesco. They first look for internal selection, if they have employees with such skills which are required and they fit the required job description. This process involves those individuals who want to make move within the organizational chart. And if they don't find any suitable candidate then they advertise that on Tesco website and also provide information of vacant position to job centers in order to get a big number of applicant CVs which make the task of selecting an appropriate candidate a bit easy for the management (HR department).
A sample research conducted by filling a questioner from Tesco employees make a clear understanding that the employees at Tesco are very much satisfied with the functionality of human resource department and especially the way they address the R & S issues. HR department is very much focused on their duties at Tesco, almost all the employees I found satisfied from the R & S procedure. Store managers and supervisors are very satisfied and that's why productivity is high and all the employees are highly motivated in the achievement of organizational goals.
At the end list of valid recommendations is provided for the management of Tesco, which can help Tesco to make the R & S improved, because nothing is perfect in this world and especially in organizational environment things remains evolve all the time and there always remain room for improvement.