The first and the main step after establishing a company is set its objectives. Every company exists for an objective. Similarly my company also has an objective.
OBJECTIVE -: “To increase sales in rural areas by 30%”
The second step is to develop a strategy to achieve the objective.
STRATEGY -: “Launch laptops with reduced prices, provide schemes with laptops”
The third one is tactics means the immediate action with resources at hand.
TACTICS -: “Laptops with different configurations (various models), 3 years warranty, free pen drive, headphones and lucky draw coupon”
I will launch laptops in many different configurations. Configuration will depend on price of the laptop. This variety will help customer to choose laptop according to his/her budget and need.
- Brand name -: “Personality Notebooks” it means notebooks (laptops) which suits your personality.
- Size/Models -: Notebooks are available in many models (different configurations). They are -:
- PN2000 - 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Disc, Windows Vista Ultimate, Dvd writer, dual core processor.
- PN2100 - 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Disc, Windows Vista Ultimate, Dvd writer, 4 USB slots, dual core processor.
- PN2200 - 2 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Disc, Windows 7, Dvd writer, web cam, 4 USB slots, dual core processor.
- PN3000 - 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Disc, Windows 7, 8 USB slots, web Cam, N-videa Graphics card, Dvd writer, Core 2 duo processor.
- Warranty -: 3 years with every model.
- Design -: 3 different colors red, black, & grey. Printed screen backside.
Price varies from model to model.
- PN2000 - Rs 34999
- PN2100 - Rs 38999
- PN2200 - Rs 42999
- PN3000 - Rs 50000
I will open Personality showrooms in rural as well as in urban areas. Service centers will be just near to the showrooms.
Advertising, sales promotion, direct marketing, public relations, personal selling, internet marketing and other unconventional media, I will use all this for promoting my product.
MARKETING SITUATION ANALYSIS
- One of Personality's greatest strengths is their ability to produce innovative, quality products.
- Able to maintain the same quality at lower prices also.
- Unable to provide maximum features at lower price.
- Lower prices can increase sales.
- 3 years warranty scheme can attract more customers as other laptop companies provide one year warranty.
- Lower price models have fewer configurations. It can put negative impact on sales.
- If other laptop companies started giving three years warranty it can also put bad impact on company's objective.
The major players in the laptop category are:
- Hewlett Packard (HP)
- Indian Laptop market in now in sync with global market. It was in 2007 that sales of laptops surpassed the sales of desktop computers for the first time in India.
- The Laptop market is growing at a fast rate because of change in work life of consumers. As the need for “anytime anywhere” access to information is increasing, the sales of Laptops are also increasing.
- Other factors that are responsible for the hike in sales figure are reduction in prices and affordability. Laptops are now sold at approximately half the price at which they were sold two years ago. Laptops prices are now almost at par with the desktop computer prices.
- The third most important factor is duty free import of Laptops as a personal baggage that has helped a lot in increasing the penetration level of the product among the consumer population. Awareness about laptops has also increased over the years.
As my objective is to increase sales in rural areas so the market for laptop can be segmented geographically. My attention is towards rural areas.
I will target age group 14-50. Personality notebooks (laptops) are designed in a way that it suits customer's personality. There are different models available for different age groups, personalities, etc. each having different features. The same strategy I will use for positioning personality laptops. I will promote my product by saying that this laptop is meant for those who wanted to look cool, stylish. As it is very much clear from the brand name that these are the laptops which suits your personality, if you are cool it will suit you, if you are more professional it will suit you. It suits with every personality.
CONSUMER DECISION PROCESS FOR LAPTOP
Steps involved are -:
- Establish the scenario; you want to buy something. Let's exemplarize - you are a big fan of laptops. Your friend has told you of an upcoming brands of laptop which is out in stores.
- Set a goal, being clear on the decision being made - what you are trying to achieve? In this case, you want to have the new laptop.
- Identify obstacles to achieving the goal - what are the problems? The problem is that you may not have enough money for the laptop.
- Identify the alternatives to achieving the goal - what options are available? Some of your alternatives may include:
- buying the laptop with inferior quality
- Buying personality laptop, as it offers good quality, more features at lower rates.
- buying the laptop at a secondhand store
Evaluate advantages and disadvantages for each alternative - what are the costs and benefits of each option?
- Advantages: laptop is good quality and brand new, and you can keep the laptop for as long as you want. Disadvantages: costs full price which may exceed budget, have to search around shops to find right laptop.
- Advantages: free, can keep for as long as you want. Disadvantages: could take a long time for laptop to fall or decrease its price.
Rank the alternatives - put each option in order of preference.
- Buying the laptop from a secondhand store.
- Buying laptop from a showroom.
Choose the best alternative - which option do you prefer most?
You can evaluate the consequences of your decision.
The consequences of buying the laptop from a secondhand store may include: the opportunity cost (next-best alternative). The positives are the quality of your laptop will usually be expected to be above average, the price is cheaper The negative aspects of the choice are that the quality of the laptop is never going to be perfect, secondhand stores might not have the laptop you want to buy.
MESSAGE OF PERSONALITY NOTEBOOKS
The main message of Personality notebooks is that choose any personality laptop, it will automatically suit your personality.
I will give advertisements on Colors, Sony, Zee TV, Discovery and Star Plus. I will give advertisements on these channels because these are the most viewed channels in rural areas. The same message will be conveyed in the television advertisement.
For conveying the message in advertisement campaign I will use Mr. Amitabh Bachchan because he is gem of the Indian Bollywood Industry, famous and whatever he will say people will consider it right.
- Increasing awareness
- Changing beliefs or perceptions
- Positioning an organization vis-à-vis the competition
- Increasing desire
- Facilitating action (a purchase or behavioral change).
Ad subject -: Personality Notebooks
Ad problem -: It needs awareness and position in the rural market.
Product characteristics -: (a) Low price (b) More features (c) Well and attractive designs
Advertisement Objective -: To create awareness in rural areas. Position the Personality notebooks as the best notebooks in the market, Reinforce target audience and push sales
Target Market -: People of age group from 14-50.
Competition -: Sony Vaio, Lenovo, IBM, Acer, hp, HCL.
Creative Theme -: Best notebooks for you.
Supportive Selling Point -: (a) 3 years warranty (b) Free gifts
RATIONAL APPEAL WILL BE USED IN ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN
Rational appeal promises that the product will deliver certain benefits.
They woo the reasoning side of the brain.
Focus will be on price, performance and quality.
I will use the following message formats -:
- Factual / News -: It is an information rich message format that conveys in a straight forward manner the facts. Here the news will be “More features and low price”.
- Comparison -: I will compare the personality notebooks with other costly brands like hp and Sony Vaio. I will focus on price and features to show this comparison.
- Problem solution -: Here the ad will begin with the problem which will be portrayed as a hero, provides the solution.
- Target Audience (People of age between 14-50)
- Geographic Coverage ( Rural areas of India)
- Reach / Frequency (More reach and giving creative advertisement so that frequency is more)
- Creative Implications
- To create awareness among the target audience
ROLE OF TELEVISION
Today in this technological world there is not even a single person who doesn't watch TV. Interests can differ like some like discovery, some like emotional dramas or funny dramas, and some like reality shows. By using television I can reach maximum audience and the message can be easily conveyed as well as easily understood by the consumers. Audio/visuals create interests and help to remember the message. In case of my product that is laptop TV is very advantageous. I wanted to show that personality laptop is meant by taking in care of your personality, so this can easily show by using audio and visuals. I will use both network and cable programs as a part of TV media schedule.
ADVANTAGES OF TV
- Reach Larger Audience than Newspaper
- TV Ads have Visual Appeal
- You can Take Your Audience Anywhere
- TV Ads can Motivate the Consumers
- Reach Targeted Audience
ROLE OF RADIO
Some people are fond of listening music. Radio is helpful in targeting or sending our message to these people. It is also very important source of transferring message. It is suited for every one of all ages and personalities. It will be used throughout the day especially during rush hours such as in the morning and after work.
ADVANTAGES OF RADIO
- Radio ad is cheap to produce, especially when you compare them to other forms of advertising like television.
- They create a lasting impression, in part because you're paying to run them repeatedly over a specific time period.
- Radio spots give you an opportunity to tell a story about your business in a fun, entertaining way.
ROLE OF MAGAZINES AND NEWSPAPERS
NEWSPAPER: Newspaper is defined as any printed periodical work containing news. News paper is playing a very vital role for promoting a product. Newspapers have, in the modern world, played an important role in the exercise of freedom of expression. Newspaper has specific sections of the paper slanted to specific target/readership groups. A newspaper is a publication containing news, information, and advertising. There are some classifications of news paper:
ON THE BASIS OF FREQUENCY OF COVERAGE:
- National newspaper: Newspaper that circulates the entire country is called national newspaper. We will give advertisement in danik jagran, Danik Bhaskar, Tribune, Hindustan times, the times of India so that people come to know about the product Personality Laptops. We will advertise its features, price, accessories that will be provided with it so that people get attracted towards the product.
- Local newspaper: we will give advertisement in local newspaper like Punjab kesari, Jag Bani etc.
- Special audience newspaper: in this we will target on specific group like industries, businessman etc. therefore, we will give advertisements in weekly newspaper like Sunday times etc...
ON THE BASIS OF SIZE:
- Broadsheets: Broadsheets are the largest of all news paper formats measuring more than 22 inches in length .broad sheets are approximately 29*23 inches per spread. We will give ad in this, so that customer can easily see Personality Laptops in it and can easily read about its features and other things.
- Tabloids: its format is roughly 23.5*14.5 inches, making it much smaller than the broadsheet and thus easier to read and handle, especially while travelling.
- Berliner: its spread normally measures about 12.4 inches in width and 18.5 inches in length, making it tall newspaper. In this sections can be separated.
STRENGHTH OF NEWSPAPER:
- Here we can give creative advertisements.
- It is not costly.
- It give good description of Personality Laptops.
- Immediate and wide coverage of your markets central area.
- Presents message in news environment that is timely and leisurely.
- Flexibility in terms of timing and ad size.
- We can advertise a variety of items to illustrate a good selection of merchandise.
- Ads can be read and clipped out be customer, to use when shopping.
- Generally reaches your current customer base with good frequency
The magazine advertising is glamorous and instills a strong sense of visual representation. It creates a specific image for the company. Its cost is high and so its quality, otherwise it could not build trust and funds might be wasted.
We will also give advertisement on Magazine like: General interest magazines .it do not target specific group but its main motive is to target all the people like India today etc.
Special interest magazines: in this we will target on specific group. We will advertise Personality Laptops in Electronic product magazine, we can do surveys on the product and also can get feedback.
STRENGTH OF MAGAZINES:
magazines are long life span
We can advertise on the cover issue of the magazine in a creative way
- Relatively long ad life and repeated ad exposure. Magazines are often kept for months. Excellent picture reproduction quality and the paper are far superior to newsprint.
- Advertising messages are more image related and less price oriented
- Excellent pass-along value.
SUPPORT MEDIA IN THE MEDIA PLAN
- Billboards -: I will use billboards of personality laptops and place it everywhere, where there is crowd, public places, bus stands, railway stations, etc.
- Word of mouth advertisement -: it is the best way to spread awareness about the product where as sometimes it can be negative also.
- Sponsorship -: I will sponsor events and shows. Like sare gama paa and IIFA awards 2010.
I will use direct marketing. It is very advantageous -:
- It helps us to cater well to our customers.
- Less time required as there will be no intermediate.
- Easy feedback.
- Enable us to provide what customers want.
- I will provide demonstrations to those who do not use Personality laptops.
- Interact with customers, know what their preferences are.
- Tell them the features provided by personality brand at lower prices.
- Ensure them the quality.
BUDGET FOR DIRECT MARKETING WILL BE Rs 100,000.00
The website will contain three sections. First will involve information about all the models available. Second will be the feedback section and the third one will for the customer's preferences means customer can design their own laptop shape, size, and configuration, whatever they want. At the background the images of personality laptop will keep on flashing. On the top of the website there will be a download button. From that customers can download screensavers, wallpapers and tones of personality laptop. There will be one more section which will include games and quiz's related to personality laptops and bonus points will be given to the customers on the basis of their points in quiz/games and once the point exceeds 1000, one free laptop service will be provided to the customer.
I will also give advertisements on social websites like orkut, facebook, hi5.
In today's marketplace, selling online is more than just a mere convenience - it's the way business is done. An online storefront enables you to safely and seamlessly do business 24/7; increasing revenue potential and market reach without significantly increasing your operating costs.
But as I discussed above that the objective is to increase sales in rural areas and in rural areas especially in our country people are not aware of e-commerce so right now my website will not include e-commerce but I will work on it in future once the awareness of personality brand spread out in the country.
Sales promotion is any initiative undertaken by an organization to promote an increase in sales, usage or trial of a product or service (i.e. initiatives that are not covered by the other elements of the marketing communications or promotions mix). Sales promotions are varied. I will do sales promotion in following way -:
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) incentives such as bonus points or money off coupons. Like I will do in case of website games, quiz.
- Merchandising additions such as dump bins, point-of-sale materials and product demonstrations.
- Free gifts such as pen drive, headphones, etc.
- Discount special discounts to students.
- Competitions and prize draws website games, quiz.
- Finance deals - for example, 0% finance over 3 years on selected models.
- Increase short-term sales
- Help build long-term market share
- Entice consumers to try a new product
- Lure consumers away from competitors
- Hold and reward loyal customers
- Building stronger customer relations
- Obtaining new accounts
ADVANTAGES OF SALES PROMOTION
We can introduce price discrimination through the use of sales promotions. They can charge different prices to different consumers and trade segments depending on how sensitive each segment is to particular prices. Coupons, special sales events, clearance sales and discounts are examples to explain the phenomenon. Often such price discrimination are offered in specific cities. I can introduce it in special economic zones like Himachal Pradesh.<3>Effect on consumer behaviour:
As sales promotions are mostly announced for a short period, customers may feel a sense of urgency and stop comparing the alternatives. They are persuaded to act now rather than later. Offer valid only till stocks last.
Effect on trade behaviour:
Short-term promotions present an opportunity and encourage dealers to forward buy. This forward buying ensures that retailers won't to go out of stocks. As dealers have more than the normal stocks, they think it advisable to advertise in local media, arranged displays and offer attractive promotion deals to consumers. These actions help in increasing the store traffic.
PUBLIC RELATION PLAN
- I will take feedback from customers.
- Mail them special offers.
- Give them phone calls and ensure that their product is working well.
- Send birthday cards on their birthday.
- Organize events
- Distribute free calendars in malls, show rooms.
- I will maintain PR by press. The aim of press relations is to place newsworthy information into the news media to attract attention to, product.
- I will also do Corporate Communications which involves communications with internal and external customers and promotes understanding of the organization.
The Public Relations Process:
- Establishing marketing objectives
- Builds awareness
- Builds credibility
- Stimulates the sales force and channel intermediaries
- Lowers promotional costs
- Defining the Target Audience
- Choosing the PR Message and Vehicles
- Implementing the Marketing PR Plan
- Evaluating PR Results
- Awareness/Comprehension/Attitude Change
- Sales-and-Profit Contribution
An imaginative and vigorous public relations program will help establish our business as a valuable and wholesome influence in the community. The public and our guests will recognize our business as one which provides the best services and products for rates and prices charged.
Advantages of Public Relations and Publicity:
- Relatively low cost.
- Effective because not seen as a commercial message.
- Credibility and implied endorsements (e.g., articles by travel critics).
- Prestige and impressiveness of mass-media coverage (e.g., feature articles).
- Added excitement and dramatization.
- Maintenance of a “public” presence.
Disadvantages of Public Relations and Publicity
- Difficulties in arranging consistent coverage of the destination.
- Lack of control over what gets printed or said.
PR helps a company to create a positive image and customer preference through third-party endorsement.
I will have public relations department, with a public relations officer in charge. The main task of the PR department is to present a positive image of the firm and its products to the public. Also to make news and thereby gain free and favorable publicity. A variety of methods are usually employed to create a favorable image with the public:
- Good customer relations.
- Sponsorship of sporting, cultural, community and charitable
- Events and organizations.
- Endorsements from celebrities.
Free gifts promote both image of firm, and its products.
Three Steps in a Good PR Program:
- Listen to the public.
- Develop policies and procedures in the public interest.
Inform people of the fact that you are being responsive to their needs.
Personal selling as the name indicates, involves the selling of a product or service through a salesman. In India personal selling is considered for inferior goods, which are of bad quality. So I will not do personal selling.
Before launching the product I will first test it in some areas. It will involve the following steps-:
- What is the target market?
Target market will be Pathankot, Gurdaspur, Dsua. It is because these are the areas which have or can be said educated and contains knowledge about laptops.
- What is to be tested?
- Test duration?
Individual interviews will be conducted; feedback will be taken regarding the advertisements, products.
Anteroom trailer wherein a mobile laboratory is set in mobile van parked near popular places like malls, cinema, and halls etc. Random passerby are chosen as interviewees and offered some incentives for participating.
Consumer juries will represent and will evaluate the performance of a selection ad on various criteria. Juries are presented with rough or finished versions of advertisements and asked them to rate or rank them.
Ethnography in this data will be collected by observing consumer behavior ways by which data will be collected is by having human researchers, observe consumer in stores, work places, homes etc.
Coincidental survey will be conducted in which audience will have to answer 3 questions, that are -:
- Whether they listen radio / watch T.V.?
- Which programme?
- On what station/channel?
This technique doesn't rely on memory as the respondent is being asked to report a current happening.
Attitude test: this test is done to know consumer attitude towards the ad or the advertised brand. Attitude test can be done concurrently .various questions will asked regarding the message tone, comprehension, spokesperson, wording etc. of an ad and the results are used to indicate positive and negative attitude. Tools like direct questions rating scale, semantic differential, checklists and partially structured interviews are used to measure attitude.
INTERNATIONAL ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN
I will launch my product in China, Dubai, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.
a) To create brand awareness.
b) To cover the 30% market share of laptop industry of china, Dubai.
I will use global advertisement campaign. Target audience and media plan and strategy will be same.
EVALUTION OF IMC PLAN IN LEGAL ®ULATRY BUSINESS:
The advertisement that we are giving in the media is legal which means that it has been approved by the law. All the documents that are required are legally approved. There are no fault chances in the documents. In future there will be no problem to the customer regarding any documented work or any servicing criteria, no problem will arise. This is a step taken for the customer satisfaction, for attracting more customers and this also help in sales area.
The advertisement of my product is according to the standards of ASCI (Advertising standards if council of India) the advertisement of my product is within the legal boundaries of
- Indian Penal Code1860
- The young Person act 1956
- Indian copyright Act 1957
- Trade mark act 1999
- Advertisement of my product is truthful and honest. All objective information, claims and comparisons should be capable of substantiation.
- I the advertisement there is no reference to a person, firm and institution.
- We have not misled consumers by implication, omission, and ambiguity.
- We are not abusing the trust of consumers or exploit their lack of experience or knowledge.
DEVLOPED A IMC PLAN FOR SOCIAL AND ETHICAL VALUE:
There is no objection against any advertisement of our product. There is no problem against our product. Our product is socially accepted which means our product is a social product that will be accepted by the society very easily for sure. There is no negative impact on the customer or people living in the society of our product as it is legal product. Customers are easily attracted towards the product
The advertisement of my Laptop is according to the codes of ASCI as it is not derides any race, caste, color, creed or nationality. I am sensitive towards ethnic and cultural issues.