1. Performance is inversely related to delay. When you use the Internet, which of the following applications are more sensitive to delay?(justify with a reason)
a. Sending an e-mail
b. Copying a file
c. Surfing the Internet
It is true that performance is inversely proportional to delay. But Sending anemailis more sensitive to delay than copying a file and surfing the internet.BecauseE-mailing may be interrupted due to high latency, but can always assume as soon as theserveris performing again, without user interaction.Surfing the web is not so much affected by delay because due to effect of latency on surfing the net.
2. When a party makes a local telephone call to another party, is this a point-to-point or multipoint connection? In case of a multipoint connection list down the connections which are coming in the path.
Point-to-point connection will provides a single link between two devices. The link is reserved for transmission media between the two devices. When a party makes a local telephone call to another party, then there is a point-to-point connection as there are only two parties. While in multipoint there are more than two parties. In case of multipoint connection use more than two devices in a network. And the single link is shared by more than two devices.So in point to point connection use two devices and in multipoint connection use more then two devices.
3. We discussed the three communication phases involved in a circuit switched network. Match these phases with the phases in a telephone call between two parties.
The three communication phases are-
1. Setup phase
2. Data transfer phase and
3. Teardown phase
In telephone call between two parties is:
1. Setup phase call with end offices.
2. Data transfer phase call with tandem offices.
3. Teardown phase call with regional offices
First is set up phase, data transfer phase, teardown phase. in set up phase a dedicated link need to be established between the two parties. The end system are normally connected through dedicated after that acknowledgement need to be sent.In data transfer process the two parties can transfer data. In the third process which one of the parties need to disconnect ,a signal is sent to each switch to release resources.
4. In CRC, show the relationship between the following entities (size means the number of bits):
a. The size of the dataword and the size of the codeword
b. The size of the divisor and the remainder
c. The degree of the polynomial generator and the size of the divisor
d. The degree of the polynomial generator and the size of the remainder
The CRC (Cyclic Reduncy Check) show the relationship between the following entities number:-
a. The size of the dataword is n-1 bit which is the more then the codeword.The relationship between data word and codeword is n=k+r,where k is the size of data word and r is the size of codeword.
b. The remainder is always one bit which is smaller than the divisor.
c. The size of the divisor is always more then the degree of the polynomial generator.
d. The degree of the polynomial generator is same as the size of the remainder.
5. Apply the exclusive-or operation on the following pair of patterns (the symbol EB means XOR):
a. (10001) EB (10000)
b. (10001) EB (10001) (What do you infer from the result ?)
c. (11100) EB (00000) (What do you infer from the result?)
d. (10011) EB (11111) (What do you infer from the result?)
a. (10001) EB (10000)= 00001
b. (10001)EB(10001)= 00000, so data recive by receiver is error free.
c. (11100)EB(00000)= 11100, so Data received is not that data which was sent
d. (10011)EB(11111)= 01100,so Two bits are 1 so they are wrong ones.