This report has been prepared basing the information management activities planned, implemented and executed by the all concerned at the manipal hospital in Bangalore (india).The activities being planned and executed while using information system operationally have been cited up in depth so that the nature and feasibility of the MIS therein could be explored for the full consideration and appraisal purposes and ending with conclusion as recommendations for the further enhanced ways to explore and materialize the potentialities of the current MIS for the best of its functionalities in the future course of action.
OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
During the research, the main objectives of the study have been:
- To understand the concept of MIS and its comprehensive and extensive usage
- To have complete understanding of MIS in the manipal hospital
- To focus on the strategic use of information system at manipal hospital
- To recommend ways and suggest ideas leading for improved and enhanced use of the MIS in the manipal hospital for the future course of activities
MEANING OF MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM
We can define management information system (M.I.S) as a system which collects or gathers data comprehensively and then organizing and finally summarizing it in such a form that is valuable to the functional managers and then provides them with the required or needed information they feel for to do their work or job. It can technically be defined as a set of inter-related components which collect or retrieve , process, store and distribute information to support decision making, co-ordination and control. The information systems sometimes prove themselves to be more helpful to managers and workers by availing them to analyse problems, visualize complex subjects and create new products.
INTRODUCTION TO THE MANIPAL HOSPITAL
THE MANIPAL HOSPITAL is located at the Airport Road in Bangalore and is known as a landmark destination for high quality and affordable healthcare services and was established in the year 1991. This hospital has 600 bed being air-conditioned and is recognized as the first teritiary care multi super speciality referral centre in the state Karnataka. It is known as the first hospital in our country that has been certified for availing quick , fast and better services in the areas of nursing, clinical diagnostics and allied areas by the ISO 9001:2000. The main characteristics of this hospital include highly qualified and specialists and doctors , the very sincere and caring unit of staff personnel and the latest and upgraded equipments and facilities and at the same time it avails the patients with specialists services in over 50 specialities promptly. The faster and immediate respond to the fatal and normal accidents and normal emergencies show its easy to access nature and state of the art services.
The strategic management has well planned and structured the all basic amenities and services the way that the patients feel more comfort and relaxed while being under treatment or brought in from their own places of the accident spots.
MANIPAL'S CENTERS OF EXCELLENCE
- Manipal Heart Institute (MHI)
- Manipal Institute of Neurological Disorders
- Manipal Institute of Nephrology & Urology
- Manipal Comprehensive Cancer Centre
- Manipal Andrology & Reproductive Services
- Manipal Institute of Dental Sciences
- Manipal Institute of Liver and Digestive Diseases
- Manipal Institute of Sports and Exercise Medicine
THE FACILITIES AVAILABLE TO THE PATIENTS
- I.C.U - Neonatal
- Well equipped hi-tech services for ambulance round the clock (24 hours)
- Around 275 medical consultants
- Parking (valet) services for and over 260 vehicles to be accommodated
- 43+ specialties
- Latest with telemedicine services
- O.P.D evening consultation services
- 1700+ staff support who are equipped with proper training
- O.P.D services on the Sunday and in holidays
- Having strength for 600 beds
- Latest and upgraded medical services for the full fledged health check up
- I.C.U- Intermediate Care
- Under an umbrella with Multi- Speciality Services
- 24 hours opened pharmacy serving free drug deliveries under radius of 5 kilometer
- Round the clock hi tech NABL Accredited Diagnostic Services
- I.C.U - Pediatrics
- Round the clock opened blood bank and related services
- I.C.U - Neuro Surgical
- I.C.U- Cardiac
OVERVIEW OF THE DEPARTMENTS
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Department of Anaesthesiology
- Department known as manipal Health Check
- Department of Fetal Medicine
- Department of Dermatology
- Department of Gastroenterology
- Department of Paediatric Surgery
- Department of Laboratory Services
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Respiratory Medicine
- Department of Medical Oncology & Haematology
- Department of Radiation Oncology
- Department of Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Department of Vascular surgery
- Department of Paediatric Endocrinology
- Department of Neuro Surgery
- Department of Surgical Oncology
- Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Department of Rheumatology
- Department of Nuclear Medicine
- Department of Transfusion Services (Blood Bank)
- Department of Neurology
- Department of Surgical Gastroenterology
- Department of Paediatrics
- Department of Urology
- Department of Orthopaedics
- Department of Stem Cell
- Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Department of Dietetics
- Department of Plastic Surgery
- Department of Diabetes & Endocrinology
- Department for an emergency and accident
- Department of E.N.T
- Department of Nephrology
- Department of Critical Care Medicine
- Manipal Institute of Dental Science
- Department of General Surgery
- Department of Cardiology
- Department of Sports & Exercise medicine
- Department of Andrology & Reproductive Services
- Department of Genetics
THE CURRENT ADVANCEMENTS
- Latest and owned services for lasik treatment for the patients with visual sufferings
- Having to describe the both structure and function of organ in house facilities of 64 Slice CT & PET/CT
- Has department of exercise medicine and sports
ACHIEVEMENTS AND AWARDS
- It has become the first hospital for multi-superspeciality to have ISO 9001:2000 certification for providing all comprehensive protocols including Clinical, Nursing, Diagnostics and Allied services.
- G.P.N.Q Award, in the year 2005, the first ever hospital in the country to be bestowed such a recognition
- The clinical laboratory of the hospital has become the first to have NABL accreditation.
REFER TO... http://www.manipalhospital.org/manipal-hospitals/Manipal-bangalore.html
THEMATIC OVERVIEW OF THE STATE OF THE ART SERVICES AND FACILITIES WITH INTRODUCTORY GIST
Manipal Hospital is situated in Bangalore city, known as Garden city of India, with a population of around 6 million. The hospital located on Airport Road, is in the centre of eastern part of the city, opened its doors in 1990 for in and around Bangalore citizens to usher in a new era in sophisticated and specialized medical care in the southern part of the country. The hospital is housed in a magnificent twin towered, centrally air-conditioned, fourteen storied building with a bed strength of 450 at each of the towers, totaling 900. The hospital has been set up to benefit the local population mainly.
This hospital is an addition to the Manipal family of health care institutions which included four
medical; two dental, nursing and pharmacy colleges and 10 hospitals with a total of around 5000 beds. All of this represents four decades of their total experience and expertise in medical education and health services and it is this track record that ensures the quality of Manipal hospital, Bangalore, known to each and every citizen of Bangalore. This hospital has provided sophisticated medical and surgical facilities. It has gained reputation in Bangalore as a centre for medical excellence and it is all due to the pre-eminence of the specialists on its medical staff panel, its highly skilled nurses and support staff and sophisticated medical equipment. A premier, multispecialty unique hospital with multiunits situated at Bangalore, Mangalore, Manipal, Nepal, Sikkim and Goa, is committed to providing personalised care of the highest order with the widest scope of advanced medical facilities. The hospital offers its medical
services on a break-even financial basis, thus bringing high quality healthcare on commercial terms. The individual health insurance plans, company group insurance plans and some subsidised inpatient beds in line with government directives are some of the highlights that bring
sophisticated treatment to the middle class family. Besides these, they have standard screen
programs at a very nominal rate for the middle class families and executive screen programmes for the privileged class at a higher rate covering complete blood count, urine-analysis, stool examination, blood grouping, blood sugar, urea, cholesterol, electrolytes, lipid profile, X-ray chest, ECG, creatinine, triglycerides and finally consultation with physicians, gynecologists etc. They work towards a preventive approach, pinpointing all possible risk areas and offering solutions to each and every problem areas with the cream of medical fraternity and state-of-the-art equipment, and thus each of the Manipal hospitals is a cost centre.
NATURE AND FUNCITONALITY OF MIS AT THE TOP LEVEL , DIFFERENT DEPARTMENTS AND DIVISIONS
The central office is at Manipal, where the medical director and other directors working there provide corporate guidance to their other hospitals. They decide important matters connected with all ' their units. At Bangalore, CEO heads the three hospitals (two situated in the Airport Road, one at each of the towers and the third hospital known as north side hospital situated at Malleswaram, northern part of Bangalore with 62 beds). One hospital at one of the towers deals with heart operations and is headed by the divisional head and designated as director, operations.
Similarly, in the 2nd tower for three different operations, like Nephrology/Urology, Neurology, Diagnostics, there are three divisional beads who control the operations in their respective areas. The fifth divisional head of Bangalore is at the north side hospital. Each of the Divisional headsh1:we different departments under them and each accounts as a separate cost centre. The various departments are personnel, engineering, maintenance, purchase, accounts, matron, finance officer, pharmacy, laundry, security, kitchen, housekeeper etc. and their clients are all at the same level. Each of these officers have again assistants, senior assistants, junior assistants etc. to look after various sub-functions. Since, inception of Manipal Hospital in 1991, the hospital has computerised various recurring activities like inpatient, outpatient admissions, transfers, discharges, registration, certain corporate activities, payrolls, billing etc. from the computers and software packages purchased at that time. They have also developed softwares of their own at the head office by their software engineers to suit their operations. Though this computerisation activities are in full swing at various departments the interconnectivity is lacking
and the system is also old, to cope up with the increased work load. At present, they do not have any connection between computers of different departments and also with different hospitals. As such, the hospital was very serious in modernising the old computer system at each of the departments and to expand its activities to other departments and to have connectivity to various hospitals including their hospitals at Nepal and Sikim which are far off.
EXISTING MIS APPLICATIONS AND THEIR FUNCTIONAL APPLICABILITY IN THE PRESENT SCENARIO WITH THE PILOT PROJECT FOR THE IMPROVED AND ENHANCED MIS ACTIVITIES
The hospital, considering its future expansions as well as anticipated increased work load negotiated with some of the reputed consultants in the software field, about six months back and is likely to entrust to one of the leading software companies at Bangalore (short listed) for the full computerisation of the hospital. They are likely to spend a huge amount for computerization activities and the pilot project was likely to commence in April 1999. Manipal Hospital at present is having MIS activities, at one nodal centre at each of the hospitals. MIS do not have a separate department, but all MIS activities come under finance controller.
The pilot project commenced in April '99 included computerisation of the following:
- Front office (Administration, registration, discharge, transfer etc.)
- Billing -
- Out patient
- Accounts -
- Corporate activities
- Medical records, ward management, OT scheduling, doctors appointments scheduling, engineering and maintenance, laundry, kitchen, housekeeping, all wards etc
- Laboratory (Interfacing)
- Computerised library .......... etc and
According to Mr. Sairam, who is in charge of all these activities at present, confirms that the entire work will be done in ten phases as under within a span of 2 years maximum.
- Pilot project at Manipal Hospital (Tower 1 - 450 beds).
- Extend the pilot project to (Tower 2 - 450 beds).
- Extend the same to North side hospital - 62 beds.
- Connect all the three through WAN.
- Simultaneously with activity 1, work starts at Manipal - 1600 beds.
- Simultaneously with activity 2, work starts at Mangalore - 1000 beds.
- Connect Bangalore, Mangalore, Manipal, across all the hospitals through extended
- Extend the similar activities to Nepal.
- Extend the similar activities to Goa and Sikkim and
- Connect all hospitals.
During this period, care will be taken to include all high tech systems like expert systems (may be useful for hospital research work), executive information systems and DSS for top management to take decisions on vital matters.
CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Many of the activities, though existing, need to be updated with new systems
- Many of the departments have not being covered at present hence they all to be covered as well
- The specialists and consultants should also be appointed on ad-hoc basis so that the implementation could be successfully take place
- The latest technological advancements with the required gadgets and applicability need to be reviewed periodically
- Development of alternative provisions in an emergency is must as it has been found no where throught the whole process which needs to be given due attention